Wednesday

My (Current) Top 10 List


Jarrod's list and mine have a lot of overlaps, as we've sampled most of the same beers, often, at the same time. Mine, of course, is more refined and thusly, more valued.

The layout of my list is simple. I start with the beers name (followed by it's country of origin, style), some thoughts about the beer, the rating I've assigned it, and if applicable, its entry on the renowned "Top 100 Beers of the World" list. My list is sure to change as new beers are sampled. Currently, it looks like this:

  1. Westvleteren 12 (Belgium, Quadrupel) - I reviewed this as the first entry on this blog, check it. A++. #1
  2. Westvleteren 8 (Belgium, Dubbel) - This one just barely gets beat by its bigger brother, very complex beer. A+. #8
  3. Trois Pistoles (Canada, Belgian Strong Dark) - Decent beer establishment will/should carry this. If served properly, it's hard to beat. A+.
  4. Pannepot Old Fisherman's Ale (Belgium, Quadrupel) - Very complex flavors/aromas, such an exceptional beer. A+. #23
  5. St. Bernardus Abt 12 (Belgium, Quadrupel) - A mainstay, I doubt this will ever drop from my top ten list. A+. #20
  6. La Fin Du Monde (Canada, Belgian Tripel) - Same brewery (Unibroue) as Trois Pistoles, one of the best tripel's, hands down. A+. #75
  7. Westmalle Trappist Dubbel (Belgium, Dubbel) - It's expensive but totally worth it. A textbook Dubbel. A+.
  8. Maudite (Canada, Belgian Strong Dark) - Also from Unibroue, I'm beginning to see a pattern here... A+.
  9. Allagash Curieux (United States, Belgian Tripel) - The initial taste was that of bourbon, it subsides and ends very smooth, could make a good dessert beer. A+.
  10. Aventinus (Germany, Weizenbock) - I wish I could have kept this list to strictly Belgian style beers, but this one, from the David Hasselhoff loving Germans, couldn't not make the cut. A.

Honorable mentions:
St. Bernardus Tripel
Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel
Saison Dupont
Moinette Blond

Drink Less. Drink Better.

1 comment:

Harvey Birdman said...

There's no shame in slapping Aventinus in there...that Schneider brewery knows what they are doing. The only one I'm a little surprised about is that Moinette Blond was mentioned...didn't know you were high on that.